If you have a hard time to choose between the sea and the mountains, Somerset West is the answer. In the heart of the Cape Winelands, only 45 minutes from Cape Town, this village on the slopes of the Helderberg is quite a find.
Browse our premium selection of apartments and villas to find a holiday rental in Somerset West.
Somerset West was established in 1819 and named after Lord Charles Somerset. It is only 6km from the False Bay coast and the resort towns of Gordons Bay and Strand with their beautiful beaches. Best known for its scenic beauty and majestic mountains, a wide variety of endemic flora and fauna, award-winning wine, fruit and food, Somerset West offers friendly hospitality and historical heritage.
Browse our portfolio to find upmarket accommodation at the best daily rates, guaranteed.
- Enjoy a wine tasting and meal at Vergelegen, a historic wine farm with beautiful gardens and old trees.
- Explore the Helderberg wine route, which includes award-winning wine estates and a brewery.
- Eat, drink and shop at the scenic Lourensford Market, which is open every Sunday and on alternating Friday evenings.
- Browse the Firlands Farm Stall with its art and crafts, steam train, farmyard, eatery and mini-golf course.
- Play a round of golf at Erinvale, which features an 18-hole Gary Player designed course.
- Visit the Cheetah Outreach and meet some of these felines and other small predators protected by this education and community-based programme.Go on a guided tour at Monkey Town with its more than 200 primates where you can also play with monkeys, swim and enjoy a barbeque.
- The Helderberg Nature Reserve is a bird lovers paradise and covers 245 hectares of fynbos, offering walks and trails with breathtaking views over False Bay.
- Dick Dent Bird Sanctuary is a wetland where waterfowl, migrant waders, and Ethiopian Snipe can be spotted.
- Visit the historic old bridge over the Lourens River, which was built in 1845 and the old NG Church, which originated in 1819.
The lovely village of Somerset West offers something for everyone and serves as a great base from where to combine your beach holiday with easy access to the winelands. It is a delight for nature lovers with countless outdoor activities on its doorstep. The summer months are best for visitors who want to soak up the sun, but Somerset West is well worth a visit all year round.