George is a large seaside town in the Southern Cape at the centre of the beautiful Garden Route. It is a great place to base yourself from when holidaying in the region and if you want to explore the Garden Route and Little Karoo. George has a modern infrastructure, an airport and good roads, which makes it easily accessible for travellers.
George is approximately 420 km from Cape Town and about 320 km from Port Elizabeth, in a lush valley at the foot of the Outeniqua Mountains and surrounded by a mixture of rich farmlands, wild flowers, rivers and forests, as well as the Indian Ocean nearby. The town is considered to be the commercial hub of the region and is located at the centre of the popular Garden Route, which makes it the perfect destination for both holidaying and business.
Due to its modern infrastructure the town has all the necessary amenities including a great variety of shops and shopping chains, a diversity of businesses, conference facilities, transport services, sporting facilities and a wide array of accommodation to choose from.
George has something to suit everyone’s tastes and budget and offers visitors a wide variety of restaurants, coffee bars and outdoor cafes, theatres and five cinemas to choose from, many historical landmarks, two of the top ten golf courses in South Africa and beautiful natural settings.
- Quad Biking in the Garden Route
- The Outeniqua Hiking Trail
- Golf at Fancourt Hotel & Country Club Estate
- Golf at the George Golf Course
- Pick strawberries at Redberry Farm
- The Strydom Gallery
- Holy Cow Curio Shop at Timberlake Village
- The Garden Route Dam
- Victoria Bay Beach
- Tree Spotting
- Whale Watching (Southern Right Whales can be seen from July to October)
- Wilderness National Park
- Wilderness Beach
- Outeniqua Nature Reserve
- Ride the vintage steam train – the Outeniqua ‘Choo-Tjoe.’
- The Garden Route Botanical Gardens A number of museums Khulani Xhosa Village, at Thembalethu Marklaan Centre Sand boarding Caving at Oudtshoorn 4×4-ing Deep sea angling Abseiling Wave-rafting Canyoning Paintball Climbing wall Dolphin paragliding
George is moderately hot during the summer months and during winter the climate varies from being mild to rather chilly. Most of the rainfall occurs during winter, but it does also rain in summer with most of the rainfall occurring at night, which keeps the area lush and green all year round. Summer is from November until March and temperatures average between 24ºC and 30ºC. Winter falls between June and August and the days can be warm, but at night it gets freezing cold.
- A mix of restaurants, cafés and coffee shops
- Fresh air
- Lots of exercise
- Rest and relaxation
- Scenic drives
- Exciting adventures