Less than an hour’s drive from Cape Town travellers will find the fertile Elgin Valley, South Africa’s prime apple and pear growing area and home of the internationally recognised Appletizer soft drink brand.
Marked as the entry point to the Overberg region, Elgin offers a great getaway and central base from which to explore the interesting natural surroundings. If you are looking for a quiet and uncluttered getaway, the Elgin Valley offers stunning scenery, good eateries and wineries and a temperate cool climate. Enjoy the area’s spectacular mountain, vineyard and orchard views any time of the year.
- When driving from Cape Town to Elgin, take in the Cape Peninsula vista from the lookout point at the top of Sir Lowry’s Pass
- Mountain bikers can enjoy some of the best routes in the country
- Board a barge to float down the Palmiet River
- Water ski and paddle on the Palmiet River
- Try your hand at fishing
- Plenty of scenic nature walks and hikes
- Take a quad bike or hike through Kogelberg Nature Reserve and view more than 1600 fynbos species on 18 000 hectares
- Experience the exhilarating Cape Canopy Tour, situated in a World Heritage Site within Cape Nature’s Hottentots Holland Nature reserve in the scenic Elgin Valley
- In November, don’t miss the superb annual Rose and Garden Festival at the Elgin Country Club with more than 10 000 blooms on display
- Enjoy local musical talent at Hope@Paul Cluver open-air amphitheatre
- Taste the wines from more than 20 wineries in the area
- Sample Windermere Ciders, brewed with no sugars, preservatives or additives
- Delight in fresh off-the-comb honey from Bradford Apiaries
- Visit the Elgin Apple Museum, one of only two in the world
- Stop for tea and treats at Orchards, Dassiesfontein Farm, Houw Hoek and Peregrine farmstalls
Elgin is a friendly, unassuming village with plenty to do for fun loving nature enthusiasts. Its cool climate makes it a particularly popular area for adventure sports enthusiasts with regular trail running and mountain biking races taking place in this area. Springtime is spectacular with all the fruit trees in bloom, but Elgin is a great spot for visitors to enjoy all year round.