Nestled at the foot of the Sonderend Mountains in the Overberg is the oak-lined and picturesque village of Greyton. Just a two hour drive from Cape Town, Greyton is characterised by Cape Vernacular architecture and combines old-world charm with modern conveniences.
Greyton still features its original leiwater (irrigation) system of street furrows, a town kraal and dipping tank (for livestock), a blacksmith’s house and forge, the school’s boarding house and the extensive public commonage. There are also two old churches and some of the earliest surviving cottages were built as early as 1840. The long narrow plots that characterise the town layout still serve as homes not only to quaint cottages, but vegetable gardens and a sheep, horse or two can often still be found in the middle of town.
- Art is everywhere to be found in Greyton and local artist David Kuijers’ studio deserves a visit
- Browse through interesting shops for local crafts
- Marvel at Norma Musgrave’s Doll’s House inside Searles Trading Post
- Support the Saturday morning market
- Taste the wines from a number of Greyton boutique wineries, including Andy Mitchell Wines and Lismore Estate Vineyards
- Good food is at the order of the day and you can stock up for your picnic at Vias Deli or support any of the local restaurants for a memorable meal
- Sample the best artisanal Belgium chocolates at Von Geusau Chocolaterie
- Hire a bicycle and cycle around Greyton’s streets.
- Serious mountain bikers are spoilt for choice with many kilometers of well-marked track outside town
- Take a hike in the nature reserve.
- The Upper Gobos trail includes some rock-hopping across the Gobos River
- Spot South Africa’s national bird, the magnificent Blue Crane, in the wheat fields of the Overberg around town
Greyton is a great destination at any time of the year. The summers are warm and dry while winters are cold and rainy and perfect for relaxing next to an open fireplace with a hot chocolate. This artistic little town is set to steal your heart, so be prepared to fall in love and soon return to this hideaway in the Overberg.