This lovely historic village in the Overberg has gained popularity over the last decade as a wonderful weekend getaway for weary Capetonians. Situated less than two hours from Cape Town and just 30 minutes from the popular seaside town Hermanus, Stanford is a pleasant, sunny village with magnificent mountain views. The Klein River runs through it.
Stanford offers couples and families a relaxing getaway. It features plenty of interesting antique stores, restaurants, vineyards and coffee shops. Visitors have a choice of adventure activities available within a 20km radius of the village, including horse riding, boat cruises, hikes, bird watching and even Great White Shark Cage diving.
Stanford is a popular wedding destination with its magical wooded glens fringed by trees and canopies, a village green with a rustic old church and lots of interesting photo backdrops.
- Wine tasting at Walker Bay Winery; Stanford Hills Estate; Springfontein Wine Estate; Sir Robert Stanford Estate; Raka Wine, Vaalvlei Wine Tasting and Boschrivier Wine Estate
- Order a pint at Birkenhead Brewery
- Fine dining at Marianas, which has won the title as Best Country Restaurant
- Cappuccinos at Coffee Corner
- Shop for delicious foods and picnic fare at the Stanford Saturday morning market
- Buy fresh veggies on Wednesdays at Graze Farmer’s Market and stay for breakfast at the Graze Café River cruising or paddling on the Klein River
- Visit any of a number of nature reserves: Fernkloof Nature Reserve; Maanschynkop Nature Reserve; Oude Bosch Private Nature Reserve; Kleinrivier Private Nature Reserve; Walker Bay Nature Reserve; Waterkop Private Nature Reserve and Salmonsdal Nature Reserve
- Visit the Panthera Africa Big Cat Sanctuary
- Spot South Africa’s national bird, the magnificent Blue Crane, in the wheat fields of the Overberg Whale watching in nearby Hermanus
The Overberg is a great area to visit under any weather conditions. Summers are warm and dry, while you will be rewarded during your winter visit with awesome views of patchwork fields filled with yellow Canola flowers; green wheat and resting vineyards. The Overberg is also famous for its fynbos riches.
If you’re looking for a quiet break and interesting discoveries, Stanford is the place to be.